I hope you are all doing well! Haven’t done a Malikah’s Mind post in a while, and you know there’s always lots on my mind LOL.
I just turned 20 a couple days ago, well, I’d like to consider it having my 10th birthday, twice. You know, I’m like twen-teen. I like that.
So, in honour of completing two decades of life, I thought I’d write out 20 things that I want to remember for the upcoming decade of the 20’s (dun dun dunnnn).
These are obviously things that are daily reminders, things you can remember at any time or any age, but I do think they are quite relevant to my life at the moment. And I definitely think they’ll be needed for the next years to come.
Being 20 is so different than being 25 and being 29. You are at complete different stages of life at these ages, and all the rest in between. I want to keep these things in mind for the years to come, to ground me and remind me of the bigger picture.
Well, here goes nothing!
1. Remember God, in times that are good and bad. Always.
2. Be grateful, always. You have a roof over your head and clean water, you’re better off than many others.
3. Appreciate others. Compliment someone everyday. It’s nice to feel loved.
4. Look in the mirror and smile. Even if you’re not happy with what you see, you can see, and that’s something worth smiling about.
5. Sleep, for yourself, and others.
6. Watch what you eat. No need to diet or go crazy, but your body deserves some love.
7. Social media is a highlight reel, don’t compare it to your raw shots.
8. Be kind to everyone. This is totally cliché, but you don’t know someone’s battle or their story. Nor have you walked in their shoes.
9. Be brave and have courage.
10. Don’t shy away from commenting on people’s lives, pictures, outfits, etc. What’s wrong with admitting you like something or think someone looks good?
11. (continuation of above) When did we stop appreciating others and finding everyone to be our competition? Someone else’s success doesn’t hinder your own.
12. Likes and followers only mean so much.
13. Spend time with your parents and family, and never take advantage of them.
14. You’ve made it til this day, and all the things you thought were the hardest in your life have been conquered. You survived.
15. You will learn the people that will stick by you no matter what. These people don’t have to tell you everyday that they’re thinking of you or that they love you, but when it counts, they surely will.
16. You’re never too early for death. Remind yourself that.
17. You are very nice to others. And you give them many chances. They may take advantage of this but stay calm.
“You do not do evil to those who do evil to you, but you deal with them with forgiveness and kindness.” – Prophet Muhammad (SAWW).
18. People come and go. Even those you thought never would, sometimes they will leave. It’s not your fault.
19. Sometimes, you can be really kind to people, and they’ll never like you. And sometimes, you can push people away, but they’ll always come back.
“We have those that will love us even if we cut them into pieces, and those who will hate us, even if we feed them pure honey.” – Imam Ali (A.S).
20. Lastly, birthdays aren’t everything. You are special, every day. Love yourself.
I hope you enjoyed this post, and let me know what other advice you would want to give your future self in the comments 🙂
Thank you for the love and support, always <3
🎀~Where Style and Modesty Save the Day!~🎀